DDT “DDT DRAMATIC GENERAL ELECTION 2016 ~FIRST ASK SPECIAL~”, 03/09/2016
0. Dark Match: Super Sasadango Machine Vs Hoshitango
1. Yasu Urano Vs Mad Polly
2. Take Grasp Of The World Junior Challenge Rights T2Hide Alumni Showdown!: Soma Takao & Daiki Shimomura Vs Kazuki Hirata & Mizuki Watase
3. T2Hide Vs Pigging 2016 – Not A Special 6-Man Tag Team Match: Sanshiro Takagi, Toru Owashi & Nobuhiro Shimatani Vs Gota Ihashi, Tomomitsu Matsunaga & Kouki Iwasaki
4. North America And South America Allies Vs NωA! Special 6-Man Tag Team Match: Joey Ryan, Mike Bailey & Guanchulo Vs Makoto Oishi, Shunma Katsumata & MAO
5. 3 Way Tag Match: HARASHIMA & Akito Vs KUDO & Masahiro Takanashi Vs Danshoku Dino & Keisuke Ishii
6. Yoshihiro Takayama & Kazusada Higuchi Vs Yukio Sakaguchi & Kota Umeda
7. Daisuke Sasaki & Tetsuya Endo Vs Konosuke Takeshita & Antonio Honda
Earlier this morning DDT posted an apology on their website over comments Super Sasadango Machine made for an online interview as well as on Twitter. During the interview Sasadango gave controversial opinions about the spending habits of female wrestling fans. Sasadango was critical of “pu-joshi” and claimed they do not spend as much as men. Therefore he believes DDT is better off catering to the 30-40 age group of their male fanbase because that group is filled with longtime wrestling fans. The line that caught the most attention went along the lines of “Women spend with coins, men spend with bills.”
Sasadango’s comments were heavily criticised since DDT has a big female fanbase. Even Danshoku Dino was among the critics. Sanshiro Takagi made the mistake of retweeting links to the interview without knowing what Sasadango said. In response to the controversy Sasadango will be taking a guaranteed 50% pay cut for all of his matches taking place in September. Takagi also takes responsibility for retweeting the article so he will take a 20% cut for the month. Sasadango has since apologised for his comments and has resigned from his role as the manager for NωA. Finally, he has been demoted to the dark match on this Saturday’s Shinjuku FACE show.
My thoughts on this? I’m very surprised by Sasadango’s line of thinking given his business savvy reputation. DDT has a lot female fans and it was stupid of him to disparage them like that. Believe me, without that demographic your Kota Ibushi’s, Kenny Omega’s and HARASHIMA’s would not have gotten as far as they have. Focusing on a middle-aged demographic is also a worrying idea because that trend becomes more and more niche as time goes by. A smaller audience that spends more to make up for the losses might be fine in the short term but that can’t be sustained in the long term. The comments were especially poorly timed because they come during the DDT Dramatic General Election, a month long contest that encourages fans to buy merchandise at DDT shows. I’m happy to see some action was taken on this.