DDT “DNA 22 ~ DNA GRAND PRIX 2016 SEASON OPENER”, 17/10/2016
1. DNA Grand Prix – B Block: Mizuki Watase (2) defeated Nobuhiro Shimatani (0) with a Back Drop (7:02).
2. DNA Grand Prix – A Block: Royce Isaacs (2) defeated Rekka (0) with the Zenith (7:51).
3. DNA Grand Prix – B Block: Mike Bailey (2) defeated Daiki Shimomura (0) with the Shooting Star Double Knee Drop (9:22).
4. DNA Grand Prix – A Block: Kazusada Higuchi (2) defeated Yuki Ueno (0) with the Doctor Bomb (10:03).
5. DDT Offer Match: Tetsuya Endo & Mad Polly defeated Soma Takao & Makoto Oishi when Polly pinned Oishi with the Polly Buster (9:24).
6. DNA Grand Prix – A Block: MAO (2) defeated Kouki Iwasaki (0) with the Cannonball 450 (11:29).
7. DNA Grand Prix – B Block: Ryota Nakatsu (2) defeated Guanchulo (0) with the Cross Armbreaker (15:20).
A Block Standings
1. MAO (2)
-. Kazusada Higuchi (2)
-. Royce Isaacs (2)
4. Kouki Iwasaki (0)
-. Yuki Ueno (0)
-. Rekka (0)
B Block Standings
1. Ryota Nakatsu (2)
-. Mike Bailey (2)
-. Mizuki Watase (2)
4. Guanchulo (0)
-. Daiki Shimomura (0)
-. Nobuhiro Shimatani (0)
Day 1 of the DNA Grand Prix did not end happily for Guanchulo. He came out wearing a Shunma Katsumata t-shirt and even used his Double Stomp to try and beat Ryota Nakatsu. But a Head Kick, German Suplex and Cross Armbreaker put an end to any hope that the power of friendship would save the day. Nakatsu thinks Mike Bailey is the only one in his group that will give him a challenge.
MAO’s quick attack on Kouki Iwasaki to start their match gave him the edge. He hit the Alien Plancha then seated him on a chair for the John Woo Dropkick. Back in the ring Iwasaki tried to wear down MAO with an Anklelock but MAO rolled out of it and stunned him with a High Screw Kick. A modified Rock Bottom and the Cannonball 450 earned MAO his first two points. MAO is aware that his knee will be targeted by his opponents.
In his official debut match Yuki Ueno had the unenviable task of wrestling Kazusada Higuchi. Ueno at one point knocked Higuchi off his feet with a Dropkick and even put him in a Crab Hold. Higuchi fought back with the Oklahoma Stampede and Nodowa Otoshi for nearfalls. Ueno got a two count of his own with a Frog Splash but a Doctor Bomb from Higuchi ended the match afterwards. Higuchi described the match as him welcoming Ueno to DNA.
Mike Bailey avoided an Asai DDT en route to beating Daiki Shimomura. Bailey says the tournament running for 5 consecutive days is like running a marathon. He wants to continue running until the end.
For his first match in Japan, Royce Isaacs was too powerful for Rekka to handle. He countered a Triangle Choke into a Turnbuckle Bomb then followed with a German Suplex into a Rock Bottom. Isaacs said he didn’t come to DNA to make friends. He came to test his strength. He wants to compare his power with Higuchi’s power. Rekka felt like all of his ability and technique were useless against Isaacs.
Mizuki Watase opened up the tournament with a win over Nobuhiro Shimatani. He hit a big Back Drop for the three count. Watase knows that he has a long way to go this week. His priority is to avoid losing against Nakatsu.
Shunma Katsumata was in attendance to say he will return from injury at “DDT FES 2016” in November.